Many of us are struggling to keep a workout routine while traveling. As the traveling season is right around the corner, I wanted to share with you how I make sure that I stay on track when it comes to my workouts while I travel:
- research prior your trip – I usually always check before hand the hotel’s facilities, any jogging possibilities close by, etc. If you know anyone in your destination, check with them what possibilities are there. This helps me plan my workouts, and helps me stay motivated, and in the right mindset
- get moving first thing – no matter how long your trip was, or how tired you might be, get moving as soon as you have arrived. This will set you in the right mood for the rest of your stay, and also it will give you a lot of energy. It doesn’t have to be any type of crazy workout, but try one of these options:
- walk – this way you are not only getting active right away, but you also get the opportunity to check out the neighborhood, any points of interest, any healthy coffee shops and restaurants you might want to visit, or even possibly a jogging route
- jogging – if you know the area, go for a short run! This will allow you to get moving, get some energy, get some fresh air, and clear your head
- gym – if the hotel has a gym, go for a quick workout
- yoga – if none of the above are an option, take 15-20min and do some yoga in your hotel room
- stretching – another option is to go through a long stretching routine
- try new type of workout / class – take the time and try a new type of workout that you have always wanted to try, but never found the time for it. This will keep your excitement and motivation levels on a high.
- accountability partner – tell your partner, a friend, or a family member what your workout plan is for your trip, and then make them hold you accountable……..you might be surprised, but accountability partner is extremely motivating
- visit new gym – I personally am not a big fan of gyms, but if you are one of those people that like to go to the gym, why not try a new gym…..or a gym you have always heard about, and now is your chance to visit it
- be ok with the reality – many of us are having a hard time, to accept the fact that while traveling your workouts might not be pushing you as much as the workouts you do at home! I personally believe that we not only need to accept that fact, but we also need to be totally ok with it. The main part is that you took 20, 30, however many minutes and you did something for yourself, you did some sort of workout, and you stayed active!
For me personally the one thing that works best is, the tone I set from the moment I arrive – if I decide that I am too tired to do anything, then this is how I will feel pretty much the rest of the trip, and there will be almost no workouts! But if I get active right away (even just for 15min), is a whole different story, and I am looking forward to my daily workouts. Share what works best for you…….at the end of the day we are all different, not everything works for everyone.
Photo by © GVS / Fotolia.com
This is fantastic! I need to keep this in mind next time I travel.
I am glad you find this helpful:)
I love the accountability partner tip,I find always useful for motivation-to motivate each other especially when you are away from your normal routine! Again, a very great post!
Glad you find it helpful. Yeah accountability partner is extremely helpful, motivating and successful:)