Many of us have a difficult time maintaining healthy nutrition habits when we are traveling. I have no problem sticking to my healthy habits when I am at home, but it’s a bit more challenging when I travel…….and I know that this is true for most of us. So, today I want to share with you what tricks help me stay on track when I am traveling.
- healthy snacks – I love eating while traveling by car, or at airports! So in order to avoid all the junk and unhealthy food that I am capable of inhaling, I will bring healthy snacks along – it is easy to pack and take in your carryon luggage. Also, if you are not sure whether they have your health bars, or any other snack that you really like, you might want to pack a few extra for your stay. More details on healthy snacks coming next week:)
- take food along – I actually do prepare and take along food for the whole family (especially when we are traveling by car). I would usually prepare overnight oats for myself, and avocado sandwiches for the rest of the family.
- do your research – check out before your trip any healthy restaurants and coffee places in the area that you would like to visit……and make it an occasion.
- plan your meals – once at your destination, try to plan your meals according to your daily agenda. For example, if you know that you are meeting with friends in the evening and you are likely to enjoy a desert, or you will be going to a Mexican restaurant for dinner, eat healthy throughout the day – start your day with lots of water, healthy breakfast, have a salad for lunch, and some healthy snack in the afternoon. This will help you stay balanced even if you enjoyed a desert or not so healthy meal.
- don’t be afraid to ask for something different – I always start my day with warm water with ginger and lemon juice, but very often at the hotels I have to ask for freshly squeezed lemon juice, or ginger. Or when I eat at a restaurant and I see a salad that I like, but it has some animal ingredients, I ask whether I can have it without the ingredients that I don’t eat. Don’t be afraid to ask for a modification of a meal…..the worst that can happen is for the waiter to say “no”.
- staying hydrated – we all know the importance of staying hydrated, but this is especially true when we travel……more on that in couple of weeks!
As you can see, it is not about restrictions, but instead it is all about the balance! It is not about eating 100% of the time healthy, but it is about enjoying whatever you are eating right that moment, and then get right back at it with healthy meals. Whenever you travel try the local cuisine, get inspired to try new dishes once you are back home……and whatever you do, don’t restrict yourself and simply enjoy the moment!
Photo by © derkien / Fotolia.com
ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Eating Healthy while Traveling”