My husband and I love pizza - who doesn't! So, once a week, we will have pizza for dinner - this is usually either on Saturday or Sunday. We have been having this "tradition" for years now, and we were always looking for ways to make it healthy. So, meanwhile we are at a point where we make our own vegan pizza.....from scratch. My husband makes the pizza dough, the tomato sauce, and I will cut all the veggies, with the help of our kids:)
It might sound like a lot, but actually it is a quick recipe, and the biggest advantage is that you know what it is made of, and you can make it as healthy as you want. We usually alternate the veggies, and you can add as many or few as you want. Obviously, you can also add cheese or meat at times! We will usually do one half with cheese and sometimes some kind of meat (for my husband), and the other half will be just tomato sauce with all kinds of veggies.
Ingredients for dough (for 2 people or a tin of 34x40cm size):
- 225g flour
- 150ml water (hand warm)
- 10g yeast (which is 1/4 of a cube of fresh yeast)
- 2 tea spoon salt (ca 3g)
- 1 tea spoon sugar
- 1 table spoon olive oil
Rest for 15 minutes in a warm environment and don´t be surprised - the dough will double its size. In the meantime you can start preparing the sauce...
Ingredients for sauce:
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes (350ml)
- 1 onion + 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 table spoon vegetable broth
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- 1 table spoon oregano
- If available a bunch of basil, finely cut
Start with heating the olive oil and sear the diced onion/garlic for about a minute. Pour in the tomatoes and leave it on the stove for about 3 min until it cooks. Then season with oregano, salt or vegetable broth. Herbs you can also try: Nutmeg (the less the better is the taste) or Cardamom (also just a breeze)
- grease a tin of 34x40cm size with just a bit butter
- roll out the dough in a thin layer which is the base for your toppings.
- start with the tomato sauce (which should not be hot anymore).
Toppings (choose your favorites)
- mushrooms, sliced
- zucchini, sliced
- pepper (red or yellow)
- broccoli, small pieces
- spinach (should be blanched for 15 sec in hot water)
- or any other veggie type you prefer - you can be as creative as you want here.
- if you wish you can add some cheese on top and/or pizza seasoning (oregano). You can also try adding a breeze of curry.