Some people chose to see the glass half full, others chose to see the glass half empty. There is no right or wrong, the question is how to stay positive and keep positive mindset when things get extremely busy and hectic. Through the years and different experiences, I have learned that our mindset has such a powerful and huge impact on our overall wellbeing at any given time. I have also learned that when times get really stressful and difficult it is extremely easy to slip into a negative mode. That's why I want to share my favorite ways to keep a positive mindset even in the most difficult and stressful situations.
- smile - have you tried to smile first thing in the morning when you open your eyes? The impact a simple smile has on your body and wellbeing is simply amazing! I was absolutely amazed to feel how much more energy and positive vibes I got out of one simple smile before I am even out of bed.
- grateful - I find that the simple exercise of thinking of five (it can also be less!) things that you are grateful and thankful for first thing when you wake up, and before falling asleep has a huge impact on your overall mood, mind and energy. The reason for this is because your mind is focusing on something positive first thing in the morning......you are making a conscious choice to focus on what is good in your life, rather than on what is stressing you out!
- morning routine - your morning routine is huge in setting up the whole mood for the rest of the day. Don't rush in the morning, instead create a routine that is good for you and your wellbeing (you can read more on the impact a morning routine has on us here)
- breath - very often when we are stressed out we forget to properly breath. Take time to breath - make the conscious decision to stop whatever you are doing for a moment and take a deep breath, listen to your breath, feel your breath.....whatever it might be, just breath!
- take the positive - at the end of a meeting, or a day reflect on all the positive and good things that you can take from that particular moment or day. We tend to always focus on what went wrong, or what we did wrong, while ignoring all the positive things that we did throughout the day. I am not saying that we shouldn't be critical, but we should do it in a healthy manner - learn your lesson from each situation, but also look for the positive in each situation.
- "me" time - when we are stressed out and have a lot on our plate, we tend to forget about our self! Make sure you take each day some time for yourself. Whether it is sports, walk, music, meditation or art, take time for yourself and whatever relaxes and calms you down.
- sleep - something that a lot of us (including me at times) underestimate, but it is so important to get enough sleep! Of course some people need less sleep then others, so try to get in the amount of hours that you need! Getting enough sleep helps your body and mind to recover, gives you energy, decreases the irritability, and in general helps with the mood.
- do something nice - this could be anything really - from writing your significant other a little note, or getting coffee for a colleague, do something nice and positive for another person! This will elevate right away your mood, and who knows may be you will receive this gesture in return in an unexpected moment.
- mobile - I know that most of us are truly addicted to our mobiles.....I know to an extend I am! But make it a point to turn off your mobile at certain times - for example, during your meals, in the evening, during family time, "me" time, etc
Just like with anything else, there are a lot of small and little things that we can do throughout every single day to affect our wellbeing and mindset in a positive way. The bottom line is that it is up to us to take the time and figure out what works best for me, it is up to us to realize that we are in control of our own actions, thoughts and life........so make sure that you make the most of it!